"I have come that they might have life and have it to the full..." -John 10:10b


Saturday, January 10, 2009

Holding On







It really only takes one time of being blessed with parenthood to come to the gut wrenching realization that childhood flies by all too swiftly. The sweet stages of newborn-ness are gone in a blink and then before you know it, you're having to discipline the toddler that has recently discovered her will. Try as you might to hold on to every smile, every "I love you" and every sentimental moment, they come and they're gone too quickly.

That being said, I want to take a moment to dwell on the things I love about this stage in my life and in the lives of my girls. Things that I wish I could hang on to forever.

I love the way that Izzy moves her fingers across my chest while I'm nursing. She ever so lightly grazes them back and forth across my skin reveling in every second of my full attention. Every once in a while, she'll peek up at me out of the corner of her eye and give me a grin, only to immediately return to the task at hand...filling her belly.

I love that Eva is a reconciler. Whether she's had a time out or Izzy has pulled her hair or Daddy has scolded her, she always looks to make amends. She'll trudge slowly to wherever it is that we are and say, "I'm sorry, Momma/Daddy/Izzy. Hugs and kisses?"

I love that Izzy already completely adores her big sister and that Eva seems to take great pride in that ever growing responsibility. Izzy's eyes light up at the sound of Eva's voice and as soon as they make eye contact, Izzy grins from ear to ear. Eva is generous with her affection for Izzy and I've never felt my heart swell more than when I watch my children enjoy one another.

I love Izzy's laugh. That infectious baby giggle that is brought on by the most unpredictable and obscure occurrence.

I love that Eva is so polite. She says things like, "excuse me," "please," "thanks," and "no thank you" and Paul and I haven't formally taught her any of those.

These are the things I want to burn into my memory forever. These are things I hope don't fade with time and life.

0 comments on "Holding On"