"I have come that they might have life and have it to the full..." -John 10:10b


Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Beautiful.


Easter is quickly approaching.

Good Friday is only 2 days away.

Cherry Blossom Festival

This is the time of year when Christians start to really reflect on what happened on those two magnificent days.

We also start to reflect on how undeserving we are of the magnificence.

Cherry Blossom Festival

As much as the Resurrection of our Lord is something to be JOYFUL over, the truth that His purpose for coming, the purpose for His beating and death, the purpose of His resurrection was to reconcile us to God, is very humbling.

Why?

We are that depraved and unholy that God had to send His only Son to die so that we might Live. Because we deserve death.

It's a hard truth. It's a humbling truth.

Cherry Blossom Festival

In the midst of all my personal reflection on this matter, I'm also reading this book in my morning devotions.

I've been struggling with food and body image for as long as I can remember.

And as much as I know how to get the weight off and I want it off,

the extra poundage is simply an outside manifestation of what's really going on inside me.

And I want to resolve this problem from the inside out.

Cherry Blossom Festival

So, today's assignment in my devotional was to compose a love letter to myself from God's perspective.

Would you know I couldn't do it!

I sat there for half an hour trying to find "good" qualities about myself but for every good attribute, I could list at least 10 not-so-good ones.

And I don't tell you this for pitty or empathy, I choose to be transparent on this blog because I honestly hope that someone who might read this will identify themselves in my words and not feel so alone. That they might join me on this journey.

Cherry Blossom Festival

But even as I compose this post, I can feel the Spirit working in me. Even as I type how unworthy I am I can hear Him whispering to me,

"But I love you. So much so that I died for YOU! So much so that I delighted in watching you grow in your mother's womb and I rejoiced the day you were born. I love you so much that I have placed my hand into your life and blessed you over and over again...abundantly! I love you so much that I have never left your side, even when you felt distant from me. I love you so much that I want you to be with me for an eternity, and I've made a way for you."

So, at the top of my list of redeeming qualities about myself this morning, (and I hope at the top of yours) is that I am loved by the Creator of Heaven and Earth. He has chosen ME. He has carved a path of righteousness for ME by sending His only begotten son to die the most humiliating kind of death so that I might live with HIM forever.

And you know what?

He did all that for you too!

Cherry Blossom Festival

"But God demonstrated His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." -Romans 5:8


4 comments on "Beautiful."

Charity on April 21, 2011 at 6:05 AM said...

Precious post, Annie.
If you need someone to remind you of your good qualities, call me. I can name a ton! I love you.

Under Her Wings on April 21, 2011 at 6:47 AM said...

Okay, my precious daughter. You heard from your sister, now you'll hear from me. Have you memorized Psalm 139? If not, get with it! I can't even begin to tell you how important you are to Him and to me. Yes, we are dirty rotten sinners, as Lew always reminds me, but the Father created us to glorify Him, and He made you very, very unique and precious in His sight. I love you so much. You have been a joy and blessing to me. There! Write THAT!

Rebecca on April 23, 2011 at 6:00 AM said...

so honest and transparant to reveal that you struggle with recognizing the good. I am right there with you and I identify with that feeling...thanks for being bold enough to reveal it. love you

Meg. on April 23, 2011 at 8:35 AM said...

Thanks Annie. This reminds me of one of my favorite Tim Keller quotes about the good news "I am so bad that Christ had to die for me. And so loved that He was glad to die for me."
It's good to be reflective, and to remember that you are made in the image of God, that (as the Jesus Story Book Bible puts it) You are lovely because He loves you.
And your kindness and friendship bless all who come in contact with you! Even someone you've only met once, like me :)