"I have come that they might have life and have it to the full..." -John 10:10b


Saturday, September 11, 2010

A Day to Remember


Do you remember where you were?

I do.

I was standing in the middle of Momma Nell's bedroom, watching her small TV, my hair brush in my hand as I scurried to get ready for work.

I watched as they reported a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center.

I gasped as I saw the second one hit,

and all of the sudden,

it was clear.

It was no accident.

All day at work, we listened to the radio, kept a small TV on in the breakroom, and shook our heads in disbelief at one another.

Our hearts broke.

About a year and half later, I watched the news report the first bombs dropped over Baghdad. I was working the nightshift at a children's shelter.

I cringed with anticipation.

1 months later, I swore an oath to protect this country in front of friends and family at the Patrick AFB Air Show and 2 months after that I stepped off the bus onto Lackland AFB in Texas to begin my training in the United States Air Force.

And now, I love and support a man who made those same commitments and has quite literally put his life in harms way to continue to protect this country.

Today, on this day of horror and tragedy, I want to say

I Remember.

And I also want to say Thank you,

to my husband; To the men and women who are serving with him, to the ones who've gone before him and the ones who will go after.

You are appreciated and loved and supported.

2 comments on "A Day to Remember"

Emily said...

Watery eyes Annie! Thank you for the sacrifice you're currently making. Its not easy being the ones left behind.

Trice on September 11, 2010 at 9:17 PM said...

Thanks Anne! I would like to say thank you to the men and women who are left with crying and confused children. It's hard being left with little and often times no explanation. So thank you and others like you for your sacrifices and your unwavering support. It's not only about the troops, but it's about their families and friends that allow them to do what they do best! Thank you!