"I have come that they might have life and have it to the full..." -John 10:10b


Friday, February 27, 2009

Skiing at Massanutten






Okay...let me preface this post by saying that there are some things certain individuals are just not meant to do. For example, Ty Pennington is obviously not mean to be a make-up artist and it would probably behoove Jessica Simpson to stay away from a research lab. Well guys, this gal wasn't meant for skiin'.

The entire Cortez crew had planned a week long ski trip in Northern Western Virginia and Paul and I were lucky to have made back to the east coast in time to join them all. I looked forward to this ski trip with great anticipation and high hopes. I'd never been skiing before and I just knew that I would tame the slopes once I got my chance. Yeah...not so much.

My sister- in- law, Kim assured me that she was in the same position as me. "It's been so long since I went, Annie. It'll be like starting over for me. We'll just take it slow." Right. Skiing must be like riding a bike because Kim picked it right back up with ease. Not I. I had no problems going...it was the balancing and stopping that proved too tricky for my knock knees and lanky legs. After a few practice runs down the "slopes" where the 4 year olds learn to ski, Kim decided we were ready for the lift and the bunny slopes.

Ugh. I fell getting off the ski lift. So did Kim. Her fall was much more graceful than mine but funny nonetheless. I gotta get that video from Mike! Anyhoo...that was not a good omen. All the way down the slope, I had my beloved family yelling at me to "pizza wedge." As much as I tried to put those skis in that pizza position and dig in my toes, the stopping wasn't going well. I ended up flying down the hill like Picaboo Street (minus the cooridination) and taking a ginormous fall. My ski got caught in the snow behind me and my body kept going forward. Bruised pride and a pulled groin muscle later, I decided that skiing may not be my forte. And I'm good with that.

Nonetheless, it was an enjoyable trip and I really loved watching all of my other, more coordinated family members ski and snow board. We got to see Jake (one of the few boy cousins) take snow boarding lessons and Eva had a grand time playing with Kyland who is only a few months older than her.

1 comments on "Skiing at Massanutten"

Charity on February 28, 2009 at 5:00 AM said...

Yeah, Chad just went skiing for the first time in 20 years - he cracked a bone in his leg. He says he'll never go skiing again :)