"I have come that they might have life and have it to the full..." -John 10:10b


Saturday, January 2, 2010

Alice in Wonderland Cupcakes


I used to watch Alice in Wonderland all the time as a kid. It was the 1985 made for TV one with Sammy Davis Jr and Carol Channing. I loved it.

Being a total foodie from birth (thanks to my Gramino, God rest her soul), my favorite parts of the film had to do with the little tea cakes. You know, the ones that said "eat me." I thought they were just perfect! I think that's what started my love affair with petit fours and cupcakes. However, I remember watching Alice bite into the little cake and it didn't have your typical buttercream...it was covered with what seemed to be a candy shell. It intrigued me. It still does. Obviously...I'm blogging about it.

So anyway, I started thinking about how I could achieve this kind of crunchy on the outside, scrumptious on the inside confection. I think I may be almost there.

Butter creams are yummy and so pretty when they are piped on a cute little cupcake, but sometimes, you just want something different...easier even.

The solution? Candy Melts!

WM-2-13

You just dip your cooled cupcakes right into some melted candy melts in one of the various colors they come in.

WM-3-13

I, of course, chose the aqua blue.

WM-4-13

Super easy.

WM-5-13

And it almost gives you that "Alice in Wonderland" kind of texture.

WM-9-11

Candy on the outside and moist, deliciousness on the inside!

WM-6-13

I can't wait to try them with petit fours...way easier than poured fondant!

***UPDATE: You can view my New Year's cupcakes here as well! ***

4 comments on "Alice in Wonderland Cupcakes"

Christy on January 2, 2010 at 8:39 AM said...

They look so pretty! I love that color with the silver cupcake liners. I will definitely have to try it.

Katie on January 2, 2010 at 9:14 AM said...

That's totally my favorite Alice in Wonderland too! And the candy-cakes look so yummy!

Tales from Goshen on January 19, 2010 at 12:42 PM said...

Those look seriously yummy.

Tales from Goshen on January 19, 2010 at 12:49 PM said...

Did you know a new Alice in Wonderland movie is coming out by Tim Burton? Starring my all-time fave - Johnny Depp. Looks freaky, but also gorgeous at the same time!