"I have come that they might have life and have it to the full..." -John 10:10b


Friday, January 1, 2010

Importance


I am a type A personality. I love routine. I thrive on rules. I don't like to be late, and I need always to have a plan.

I am also a mom of a 3 year old and a 17 month old.

My Girls

These things do not always mesh well.

I have come to find in recent months that it is more important to spend time with my kids than it is to stick to a schedule or a routine. The routine is useful and helpful and even necessary for the sanity of the home, but sometimes it needs to be strayed from. Sometimes it's better to take things one day at a time...one hour at a time. Sometimes, a mom just needs to sit in the floor and play "dollhouse" instead of making sure that their children learn to entertain themselves so that she can sweep the kitchen or start another load of laundry.

I have also come to discover that there is such thing as too many rules. Rules are good, safe and again, necessary. But sometimes, rules are stifling and can smother the spirit of our children. There doesn't have to be a rule for everything.

Sometimes, a mom will walk into the room of her should-be-napping toddler and find her 3 year old in the crib and both wide awake.

Crib Sequence

And that mom will have two choices:

1) Scold the 3 year old for waking the youngest and for climbing on the furniture

Or

2) Grab the camera and snap some pics, treasuring the sweet moment of sisterly affection and fun and mischief.

Mischief Sequence

Today, I chose the latter.

Tomorrow...

Hug Sequence

...well, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

2 comments on "Importance"

Christy on January 1, 2010 at 8:03 AM said...

I know exactly what you mean! I struggled with that. I realized I was putting household responsibilities above spending extra time with my little ones. It was difficult for me to let things slide, but I'm sure glad I did. I noticed when I spent more time just playing with them we had much happier days.

p.s.
I agree with you on the being late thing!! I HATE it.lol :)

Erin {House of Turquoise} on January 1, 2010 at 6:25 PM said...

Oh Anne, these photos are incredible!!!! I can just hear their giggles from here!

Thanks so much for leaving such a sweet comment yesterday!! Isn't it weird how we only know each other through our blogs, but it still feels almost like a genuine friendship?! So neat! :)

Oh and I HATTTTTE being late too!