"I have come that they might have life and have it to the full..." -John 10:10b


Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Emerald City Dreaming


Last week was my friend's daughter's 3rd birthday. Did I say that right? Sounded weird? Whatever...

Anyway, Becca (my friend) asked me to help her make a Wizard of Oz birthday cake as Eden (the birthday girl) is obsessed with all things Wizard of Oz. She's 3 and she'd take Dorothy over a Disney princess any day! It's refreshing actually. I really love that about little Eden.

Anyway, having never decorated an actual CAKE before (I tend to stick to smaller confections) I did my best to re-channel all of those Food Network challenges I've seen time and time again and Becca did some research online to find the perfect cake to replicate.

After about a week of research and pre-making about a million fondant poppy flowers, this was our end result...

Wizard of Oz Cake

Wizard of Oz Cake

Wizard of Oz cake

Not bad, huh?

And I have to admit, I had some help. Becca did the baking, my friend Michelle has an eye for placement so she came over to help us figure out where everything should go on the cake and well, I had the cutest little assistant when it came to making the fondant decorations...

poppies

Eva

Eva making poppies

Eva

Ain't she cute? Poor thing. Worked to exhaustion. We don't play around at the Cortez house when it comes to fondant. We just don't.

4 comments on "Emerald City Dreaming"

Christy on February 10, 2010 at 6:14 AM said...

That cake is amazing! That is one of my all time favorite movies.

Erin {House of Turquoise} on February 10, 2010 at 11:06 AM said...

What a fantastic cake!!! I'm sure the little girl was blown away!

Emily said...

Thats AMAZING Anne! I wish you could do Matthews cake! No theme yet, guess I should start there!

Tales from Goshen on February 24, 2010 at 11:03 AM said...

That is one AMAZING cake...Wow.