"I have come that they might have life and have it to the full..." -John 10:10b


Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A Lesson in Coloring


The other day, I walked into the kitchen to find Eva and Izzy giggling infectiously at the breakfast table. Eva had taken it upon herself to teach Izzy all about colors and coloring and she was going through a handful of crayons waiting for Izzy to decide which color she wanted.

Coloring 1

Coloring 2

I decided to stand in doorway and just observe for a minute. This is what I heard :

Eva: This one?

Izzy: Uh-uh

Coloring 3


Eva: This one?

Izzy: Uh-uh

Coloring 4

Eva: This one, Iz?

Izzy: Uh-uh *shaking her head*

Coloring 5
Eva: How bout this one?

Izzy: Hmph *nodding her head up and down*

Coloring 6

Izzy reached out to take the crayon and Eva gently corrected her. "No, no Izzy. First let me show you how. Okay?"

Coloring 7

Izzy agreed and watched intently as her big sister delicately pressed her crayon to the paper and made small red strokes back and forth across a small section of the coloring paper.

Coloiring 8

Eva then passed the crayon to her baby sister and said, "Here Izzy, you try."

Coloring 9

Izzy readily took the crayon from Eva's hand and excitedly scribbled across the paper while Eva monitored, every few seconds encouraging her little sister with a "Good job, Iz."

Coloring 10

I watched with pride as my girls played and bonded. I was proud of Eva's willingness to be patient and gentle with her younger sibling and it made me beam from the inside out.

And just as quickly as I had stumbled upon this sweet moment of affection and patience and learning...

Coloring 11

it was gone!

And there was lunch to be made.




3 comments on "A Lesson in Coloring"

Michael Brown on February 3, 2010 at 6:11 AM said...

So so cute...you are really good about "getting" the moment. Those two little girls are so beautiful and they look like they have lots of fun together.

Katie on February 3, 2010 at 6:46 AM said...

Well, Izzy made it much longer than Grace yesterday. I asked Grace what color she wanted and she knocked a bunch of colors off onto the floor along with her color page. She spent color time in time out. Two year olds are fun. :)

Erin {House of Turquoise} on February 3, 2010 at 9:23 AM said...

Oh that was too cute! I think it's awesome you think to pull out the camera for moments like this! The last one made me laugh out loud!!