"I have come that they might have life and have it to the full..." -John 10:10b


Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Snowed In


Yes. We are. The snow began late Friday morning and did not stop until Saturday evening. We were under a blizzard warning all day long. When it finally ceased, there were over 30 inches of snow in our yard. 30. Yeah.

Oh! And...and...we had no power. All day on Saturday. Our house got down to 53 degrees! It was cold.

Needless to say, I have not left my house since Thursday evening, minus a quick run to CVS for necessities like paper plates and laundry detergent.

OH! And...and...we are expecting another 12-20 inches tonight! Yay for us **rolls eyes**.

And I have to admit, I've always had a Loralei Gilmore attitude when it comes to snow. I've always had a special place in my heart for the way it floats from the sky and sticks to your eyelashes. I love the smell of fresh snow in the atmosphere and how rosy your cheeks become after playing in it. It's clean and new and pretty and cleansing.

But much like Loralei, my love affair with snow is becoming tainted. For as pretty as it is when it's falling from the sky, the day after it snows, once the plowers have come through and there are 10 sedans stuck on the road shoulders, the bloom rubs off. Snow becomes dirty. And dangerous. And well, it keeps you in one place for far too long. The fact of the matter is, as much as I love snow...I don't always like it.


That being said, the family and I have found some great ways to entertain ourselves through all of this snow.

A day Snowed In

And snow is...well...pretty. Before the plowers come through and the cars get stuck anyway.

After the Storm 6

After the Storm 4

Our home buried in 33 inches of snow

backyard

After the Storm 3

Car buried in 33 inches of snow

So, don't laugh too hard at me when I tell you, that in some small way, way back in the dark corners of my heart, I'm a slightly looking forward to another soft snowfall tonight. What can I say? My relationship with snow is complex like that.

4 comments on "Snowed In"

Emily said...

LOVE the GG reference! Your snow cancelled my flight for tomorrow so the boy and I will be in GA till Saturday. Cant say Im disappointed, I wasnt really looking forward to heading back to the cold, snowy wonderland that is home!

Christy on February 9, 2010 at 9:49 AM said...

Ugh I hear ya! We got 27inches and we're waiting on our next 10-20. It was fun at first but now it's getting really old! I cannot wait till spring gets here!

Charity on February 9, 2010 at 6:02 PM said...

Ok, that video was weird -but so are you :). We have snow too - @4 - 5". May get more Thursday. Amazing - a snowy Feb. in Arkansas.

David on March 3, 2010 at 12:42 PM said...

Anne,

Wonderful pics! I would like your permission to use an exquisite B/W macro shot you took of a three-strand rope for a seminary final project. Please drop me a line from my blog if you will allow this. www.mediocrealaska.com

In Him,
David S.