"I have come that they might have life and have it to the full..." -John 10:10b


Thursday, December 31, 2009

Resolutions


This time last year, I made a whole list of resolutions. Things I swore I would accomplish because I was convinced they'd make me a better person, a better woman, a better wife, a better mother, a better Christian.

For example:

I resolved to read 52 new books, 30 fictional and 22 non-fictional...I've read exactly 2 all the way through and they are both boring, self-help books...it's a guilty indulgence.

I resolved to lose 40 lbs. I've lost 10. But I did join a gym that I L.O.V.E.

I resolved to do be more patient. I opened my Christmas present 3 weeks early (it was a new camera...YAY!).

I resolved to read the Bible in a year...I got to II Corinthians .

I resolved to save more money. I also discovered Jo Anns and Michaels, so...

I resolved to spend more time in the Word and in prayer. I had good weeks, and I had bad ones...

I resolved to cook healthier and go organic where I could...we had ramen noodles for dinner last night.

I resolved that we would watch less TV as a family...then we got DVR and I discovered Nick Jr and Law and Order: SVU marathons every Tuesday on USA.

And the list goes on. So this year, I have a few different resolutions...a little more doable...and not so "have-to-be-done-by-December 31st of 2010." Here it goes...

I resolve:

To give myself a break. To not be my own worst critic and to cut myself a little slack.

I resolve to do the absolute best I can, relying on the Lord for patience and wisdom and discernment so that my children not only feel loved by me, but by Him, whatever that might look like from day to day, each of the 365 of the coming year.

I resolve not to define myself by the number I see on the scale or by how much folded laundry is on the couch, or by what I think other people believe about me.

I resolve to be honest with myself and others about my strengths and weaknesses and to say "no" when I need to say "no"...and "yes" when I need to say "yes."

I resolve to choose contentment for all the material things I have been blessed with when the pages of the Pottery Barn catalog are sticking their tongues out at me and chanting, "nanny-nanny boo boo."

I resolve to talk to my girls more about GOD's plans instead of my own, whether that be His plans for our lives or even just for that particular day.

I resolve to chill out...




And to lose 30 lbs :)



Happy New Year to you and your family! May the coming year be littered with the blessings and promises of God. May you find everlasting fulfillment and joy unspeakable in the comfort of the Creator's arms. If you know Him already, I pray you feel closer to Him with each passing day and if you don't know Him, I pray that you meet, from the bottom of my heart.

4 comments on "Resolutions"

Erin {House of Turquoise} on December 31, 2009 at 8:07 AM said...

I was cracking up all the way through that post! LOL! You are so funny! Seriously though, your new resolutions are great. That's a very inspirational list for me.

Happy New Year to you and your family, Anne!!!

Fresh Batch Jams on December 31, 2009 at 4:28 PM said...

Can I just ditto your resolutions? Because I like them! One more I would add...discover organization then relax if - I mean WHEN - it all falls through the cracks!

I just heard you guys will not be coming down...very sad! We are having pork loin, crout, sweet and mashed potatos. Its not too late to change your mind. Those 30 lbs can wait.

Christy on December 31, 2009 at 6:47 PM said...

Oh my gosh I love this! What a great list. Happy New Year!!

Janean on December 31, 2009 at 7:16 PM said...

adore the honesty...we all can relate!

your goal for 2010 are "doable" and righteous.

have a safe New Years Eve.