"I have come that they might have life and have it to the full..." -John 10:10b


Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Soundtrack of My Life


I love music.

I mean, I don't know many people who don't love music, so saying that sounds so cliché but still, I do love music.

I grew up around it. It's in my blood in a sense. My mother comes from a very musically talented family. My mom plays the piano like you would not believe, and she used to play the BANJO! How cute is that?!?

And everyone in her family has some kind of musical talent...or all of them.

My Dad's sister was a guitar player and, from what I hear, had an amazing voice. They say she really could have made it big, God rest her soul.

And even me. I started playing the piano very young (Heaven knows I can hardly play anymore...I know, I know Mom..."practice makes perfect") and I've always loved to sing. I don't know that I would call myself an über talented singer, but I don't notice a rush of canines when I open my mouth nor do I notice any disgruntled faces in the audience.

And I'm not really keen on being "amazing." As long as my girls keep asking me to sing them a song at night, I'd say I'm a successful singer.

And Paulie plays the guitar. It's what won me over. He played me a Dave Matthew's song sitting on a rock by the river at Yosemite. It was very romantic...very cheesy, but romantic just the same.

All that to say, that music speaks to me in a way that nothing else does. Words set in motion to melody. A melody that describes the depth and emotion and meaning to those words. It feels complete. It's like therapy for me.

Lately, I find myself in tears when I hear a song that speaks to me. It can be a song I've heard a bajillion times but suddenly, it takes on new meaning and becomes my life anthem in that moment.

And sometimes, in the mist of drying my eyes and recovering from my weepy session (trying to avoid the concerned looks of fellow drivers who've been watching me sob like a child at the stop light) I think to myself, "I should blog about this!"

But then I wonder if the songs that speak to me in such an intense way, would speak to you in the same way. Would my blogging about these particular songs just give you something to skim over and think, "Oh, that's sweet dear."

Or would they make you break down and sob the way the cause me to?!?

Well, let's find out, shall we?!?

-Watermark "Good For Me"

-Nichole Nordeman "Legacy"

-Nichole Nordeman "Every Season"

-Steven Curtis Chapman "Cinderella"

-John Mayer "Say"

Okay, and one more. This one really gets me...


I hope these songs spoke to you the way they do me.

I mean, I really hope you're in tears and sobbing hysterically,

cause that way, I won't feel like such a goober ;)

6 comments on "Soundtrack of My Life"

Amanda Jo on June 9, 2010 at 8:49 AM said...

I love this post!!! If there's one thing I love but don't have a talent for it's music. If I could I'd play guitar, banjo or mandolin. My son is showing quite an interest in music which just delights my heart!!!

I love your song choices! Nichole Nordeman is amazing and never disappoints, Brandon Heath's song always sends chills down my spine and I LOVE the song by Watermark - I'd never heard them before today!

Anne on June 9, 2010 at 10:53 AM said...

Amanda, Watermark is my all time favorite group! I LOVE THEM. I've loved them since I was a teenager! I highly recommend all of their albums. They're just amazing.

Charity on June 9, 2010 at 11:05 AM said...

Alex plays the banjo too. How cute is THAT???

Amber on June 9, 2010 at 11:34 AM said...

Ahhhh, how I can relate to this! I play some guitar and very little piano anymore. I also love to sing and feel the exact same way you do! And don't worry, I'd probably be bawling in the car next to you at that red light!

Little Lovables on June 9, 2010 at 1:13 PM said...

lovely songs, there are a few that makes me sniffle a little as well... it depends on what is going on i n my life at that time, like a perfect storm.

Abbey said...

Annie, you are inspirational. I love reading your blog. :)