"I have come that they might have life and have it to the full..." -John 10:10b


Sunday, November 2, 2008

God's Presence vs. God's Presents


"The former regulation is set aside because it was weak and useless(for the law made nothing perfect), and a better hope is introduced, by which we draw near to God."
-Hebrews 7:18-19

Let me start by saying that I LOVE my church. I love the teaching, I love the people, I love the old building and I love the part of the island that it's on (the windward side in Kailua). The mere drive to church is enough to get you in the mood for worship, passing straight through the Koolau mountains on the H-3 and a breathtaking view of Kaneohe Bay coming out of the Tetsuo Harano Tunnel. Truly heart stopping.

Anyway, we normally have the privilege of listening to Pastor Brad every Sunday, but this Sunday, we got to hear Pastor Darryl. And boy was he amazing. He wasted no time in getting straight to the point of his sermon...Is God at the center of your life? And why is God at the center of your life?

Well, I've heard the first question posed countless times. I must ask myself that question 100 times a day, but the second one threw me off a bit. Why? Why is God at the center of my life? But as I pondered the question, I honestly didn't know how to answer. Pastor Darryl continued. He then asked the question, "What are your goals in your relationship with Jesus?" My goals?

He went on to talk about 2 kinds of Christians. The Christians who have Jesus in the center of their lives because their end goal is to know and love HIM more. And the Christians who put Jesus at the center of their lives because they believe that by doing so, they will be given all the earthly treasures they desire. He explained that it really goes back to a grace-based faith vs. a works-based faith. If we are merely serving Jesus so that He will serve us in return, are we really getting all there is to get out of a relationship with Him? Definitely not.

He said that there are usually two outcomes when we put Jesus in the center for the wrong reasons. 1) Things could work out well and we get the things we desire whether it be wealth, status, children, etc. But this breeds pride, haughtiness and judgementalism because we then look at our earthly blessings as prizes for our hard work and accomplishments. After all, if we could earn our salvation or our good standing with God, what the heck do we need Jesus for? or 2) Things go horribly wrong and your works are fruitless because they are not an overflow of your love for God and your desire for HIS will to be done.

Pastor Darryl then reminded us why Jesus came in the first place. To FREE us from the law. To FREE us from slaving away trying to earn God's favor. The Old Covenant said "it's up to you", the New Covenant shouts, "it's all up to GOD!" The pressure is off! Sit back, relax, serve God because you LOVE God and He's called you to serve Him, not because by doing so you think it will earn you all the things you think you should have here on earth.

He read this quote(and forgive me but I can't remember who's quote it is), "I want to draw near to You,whether You bless my life as I want or not, I only want one thing - that You draw near to me."

Wow. Convicting to say the least. He closed with a last question...Do I want the presence of Christ or do I just want the presents?

"In the morning, when I rise
In the morning, when I rise
In the morning, when I rise, give me Jesus

Give me Jesus,
Give me Jesus,
You can have all this world,
But give me Jesus

When I am alone
When I am alone
When I am alone, give me Jesus

Give me Jesus,
Give me Jesus,
You can have all this world,
But give me Jesus

When I come to die
When I come to die
When I come to die, give me Jesus

Give me Jesus,
Give me Jesus,
You can have all this world,
You can have all this world,
You can have all this world,
But give me Jesus"
-Fernando Ortega

0 comments on "God's Presence vs. God's Presents"