"I have come that they might have life and have it to the full..." -John 10:10b

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Weekend From...well, you know

No, again there are no pictures in this post. I know I probably have so few readers to my blog because I just don't post enough pics. This is not entirely my fault though, guys. My husband has a problem. I don't know if I could officially diagnose it as an illness so much as a disorder, but whatever it is, it's a problem. He cannot seem to hold on to a piece of electronic equipment for any lengthy period of time before getting completely bored with it and needing something new. This includes cameras.

I have no camera right now because he sold it. He sold it in hopes of getting a newer, better camera...which we do not have right now. So, I'm camera-less thanks to my husband's disorder. Blame him for the lack of pics.

Anyway, this post is not supposed to be about Paul. This is a rant. Humor me for a few minutes. I've had a crazy weekend and it's not even over yet.

Friday, on our way to the mall, we noticed the transmission slip in our Ford Escape. Our recently paid off Ford Escape. Isn't that how it always goes. Anyway, the Escape is a 2002 and we've already put more money than should be allowed into that car for repairs, so when we noticed the transmission slipping, we both agreed that it was time to say ta-ta to the Escape. Well, the Escape is our family car. Our second car is a 2004 Ford Mustang and two car seats would absolutely NOT fit in it.

So, Saturday morning, we dropped Eva off at Kasey's house to play with Isabelle and Daniel and off Paul, Izzy and I went to look at new cars. Almost 8 hours later, we finally drove our tired, hungry bodies off the lot in our new (to us) 2006 Honda Odyssey. Yep, I've officially joined the ranks of the mom-mobile drivers'. But boy do I love this van.

While we there at the dealership, during one of the numerous times that our salesman was "going to bat for us," I began to suspect that I may have developed a painful case of mastitis. Being fearful that it could develop into a a not so mild case, I decided to head up to the ER on Saturday night with Izzy in tow, despite being exhausted from a day of wheeling and dealing.

One look at the crowded waiting room told me that I would most certainly be there a while. You see people, it rained...all weekend long. And don't get me wrong, I LOVE the rain, but I don't love the accidents caused by the rain on an island where the roads are full of pot holes and the red-dirt hills are prone to mudslides. So, I checked in with the nurse, she gave me my wrist band and I picked a seat close to the window to sit...and sit...and sit. 3 hours later, I finally consented to the realization that I was not very high on the triage totem pole. So, I loaded Izzy up (who was a trooper by the way) and made my way out to the parking lot.

Only, it was raining...hard. I waited for a few minutes in hopes that the rains would subside enough be for me to get to my van without getting completely soaked. But there was no sign of that, so I pulled the hood of my jacket over my head, made sure Izzy was safe and warm under the canopy of her stroller and car seat attachment and charged into the rain. Things were going well until I stepped into a hidden indention in the sidewalk. My shoes were sopping and my jeans were soaked half way up my calf (and I have long legs). Ugh.

I made it to the van, made sure Izzy was secure in her seat, loaded the stroller and quickly jumped in the driver's seat dripping water all over my new car. We finally made it home and I put the girls to bed, pushed a shower off until morning and worried about my potential infection and how long it would take to get much worse.

Sunday morning, I slept in. On accident. I had exactly 45 minutes to get everyone ready for church and out the door. The shower I wanted to take...yeah, didn't happen. The clothes I wanted to wear...in the laundry. I rushed around trying to secure my unwashed hair into the world's smallest pony tail, applying extra deodorant and flinging clothes all over the girl's room looking for something appropriate for them to wear. We barely got out the door on time and made it to church with a few spare minutes to drop the girl's off at the nursery and find a good seat.

After church, more rain. The pain on my left side was still there, but no worse than the day before so I felt okay about pushing off another visit to the hospital until the next day when I could call and schedule an appointment.

I moved on to baking the 5 dozen sugar cookies I had committed to for a cookie decorating party at Annette's house in the morning. I had originally planned to buy the pre-packaged cookie dough but wouldn't you know, the commissary was all out. So, I made them from scratch. 4 hours and 66 cookies later, I was finished and it was time to think about dinner. Paul recognized the exhaustion in my eyes and suggested going to pick up a pizza and I was grateful and happy to oblige.

We came home, scarfed down our pizza and started the girl's bed time routine. When the girl's were finally down, I took my long awaited shower, poured myself a glass of Riesling and hunkered down on the sofa to veg for a bit. Things were looking up.

And then, this morning at 5:30, Eva awoke with a 101 degree temperature. Sigh. Life More Abundant, right?

But, the pain I've had all weekend is finally subsiding (making me think it was merely a clogged milk duct instead of full blown mastitis), the Motrin is helping to keep Eva's fever down and the rain has stopped for now.

So, needless to say, it was a hectic weekend. However, I did manage to read the entirety of Twilight (contributing to my exhaustion as I was up every night until almost 1am). It was amazing. I don't know what I was so hesitant about. Guys, it's a classic Romeo and Juliet story; star-crossed lovers and the desire for what's forbidden. Stephanie Meyer is perfectly descriptive, telling the story in such a way that you can feel every emotion, every light graze of the skin, and every shiver down Bella's spine. I highly recommend it and I cannot wait to get the second book. Laugh all you want...a good book is a good book is a good book. And that's all there is to it.

3 comments on "Weekend From...well, you know"

Tales from Goshen on December 15, 2008 at 2:17 PM said...

Girl, I can empathize. I have had all sorts of junk happening on my end, too. Poor August has some sort of a rash virus and anytime my babies are sick, I am on major edge. Then, Christmas shopping has been hanging over my head. Just got back from 4 hours of it...plus grocery shopping at Wal-Mart. And I am days behind in my Bible study which is no doubt contributing to my gloomy state of mind. I'll pray for us today in my quiet time. Which I resolve to do NOW!

David Reed on December 15, 2008 at 4:55 PM said...

Congrats on the new car...the Odyssey is the Cadillac of Minivans. I hope you all get to feeling better and take a few minutes to catch your breath. We miss you guys something terrible. Merry Christmas!

Katie on December 15, 2008 at 6:27 PM said...

At least you had Edward to get you through it all. *hug*