"I have come that they might have life and have it to the full..." -John 10:10b


Thursday, September 3, 2009

September 3rd


Wow, even as I write this post, I discover that Paul and I have NO pictures taken of just the two of us this year. I don't know whether or not that's sad. Is that sad?

Well, we can remedy that tonight for sure, because we're going on a date! Yep, a real date. Dinner, movie, quiet conversation without having to bend over and pick up a kicked off shoe or a crayon every 5 minutes. We'll just gaze into one another's eyes through the whole dinner and spout off romantic things that would put Shakespear to shame. At the movie, maybe we'll sit in the back row (wink, wink) and it'll be just like when we first fell in love.

Okay, maybe my expectations are a little too high. In reality, it's quite possible that the only thing we'll talk about at dinner is the girls. I'm pretty sure that I'll miss them about an hour into the date and have the strong urge to call the babysitter just to inquire that they're still tucked safely in their beds. At the movie, I can't promise you that we won't have just paid $20 for us to both take a nap...but we'll most likely be holding hands the whole time, so that's not all bad...right?!?

Paul and I celebrate 5 years of marriage today. Five years ago today, we drove up to the Santa Clara County Courthouse and said "I Do" in front of a JOP and our dear friend Eddie.

No white dress, no flashy photographer, no cake or bridesmaids...just two people in love and completely devoted to spending the rest of their lives together. I cried, Paul's voice shook, we were both so nervous (I tried to put his ring on the wrong hand) but so sure that we were doing the right thing.

It's weird...5 years has gone by so fast but then I look at our lives now and the family we've made together, the life we've established for our little family and I wonder how we could've accomplished so much in such a short amount of time. It's by God's Grace that's how! God's grace and some amazing people that He's put in our path to be our voice of reason when we needed it. Some incredible examples of couples who've conquered complacency and indifference in their own marriages.

Unfortunately, we've known many couples in our short married life who chose to go their separate ways after a few years of marriage. I'm sure that considering how Paul and I met, and our somewhat short courtship, many of our peers probably thought that Paul and I would cave under pressure. But here we are, still going strong. We've had our hard times, and there will be more to come, I'm sure of it. But we're more committed than ever to keeping our marriage strong and our family intact. We've grown up a lot in the last 5 years, we've had too...but I'm glad to say that by God's grace and guidance, we've grown together.

Happy Anniversary Paulie. I love you dearly. This past year, as things around us have seemed to spin out of control and our world got a bit shaky, you stood strong and fearless and gave me something steadfast to hold onto. On the days when it's just felt like too much, you've allowed me to cry and mourn all the while reminding me of how blessed I am to be living this Life More Abundant. You've grounded me, given me the boost I needed when I wanted to fly and I'm so happy to have you by my side, my best friend.

You're an amazing father and it almost makes me chuckle. When we first started dating, I wasn't sure how fatherhood would suit you, but you've taken on this role with such commitment and fervor. You're an awesome daddy to our little girls. You're affectionate and attentive, calm and firm. At the end of the day, when I'm praying over the hearts of our daughters, I can earnestly thank God for blessing them with a daddy like you.

So Paulie, on this our 5th anniversary, I say I love you. I love you more now than ever. I love being your wife. I love that you accept me as I am (whatever that looks like from day to day, or moment to moment) and you long to see me reach my goals and be as content with myself as you are with me. That gives me such strength and confidence and I love you for that.

Happy Anniversary Paulie.


***PS I'll be posting the Giveaway winner later this evening...around 7ish...before we go on our date :)

3 comments on "September 3rd"

David Reed on September 3, 2009 at 7:13 AM said...

Congratulations! Five years, wow. They go by so fast. You guys are definitely not the stereotypical DLI marriage. I think the reason Katie and I fit so well with you both is that, like us, you see the big picture. No matter what comes your way you know that the way forward is together. You guys are an inspiration. We love you guys and wish you many more happy years together.

Liz Harrell on September 3, 2009 at 9:34 AM said...

So sweet, happy anniversary to you both!

Mandy on September 3, 2009 at 9:36 AM said...

Wow! Congrats! Our anniversary is August 3rd...so today is our 85 month of marriage anniversary! Thanks for the comment about my purple-crayon-in-the-dryer-horrors! And I like your $20 bill find..def a good find in the dryer! I like that and when you reach in the pocket of your winter coat you just pulled out again and find some money! I hope you take your camera and snag someone to get a couple pic of you tonight! You need it girl! Have fun!