"I have come that they might have life and have it to the full..." -John 10:10b


Monday, May 4, 2009

Abundance of Cake


Paul and I recently found our church home here in Maryland. It's definitely not what I would usually be attracted to in a church, it's very large and not-so-traditional, and I'm usually a small, traditional church kind of gal, but we're excited about this one. I have to admit, when we first walked into the sanctuary, it felt more like we were walking into an IMAX theater or the Verizon Center, but after one Sunday night there, we knew we had found a place to call home. And the security only deepened after I attended my first Tuesday morning Women's Bible Study. I'm really excited about this church and how the Lord is going to grow my family and use us for His purpose through opportunities there!

Anyway, soon after we decided to commit to this church, we were informed of the massive church picnic that had been planned for this past weekend and I immediately pounced on the opportunity to help out. I've been chomping at the bit to get involved and plugged in somewhere and so I jumped in with both feet and committed to baking 4 dozen cupcakes for the picnic.

Friday afternoon, while the girls were napping, I began the task of mixing, baking and frosting 48 red velvet cupcakes. I used the boxed cake mix but added a few of my own ingredients (coffee and vanilla extract) to give it a little extra zing. I made the cream cheese frosting from scratch and delicately applied it to each cupcake to make the perfect little swirly design. I was set to impress and I was sure that everyone would be ranting and raving about my adorable cupcakes. Boy was I going to win some major brownie...er...cupcake points!

When it was all said and done, I had been in the kitchen for a collective 3 and a half hours and was feeling pretty tired, but also pretty impressed with myself.

You'd think I would've learned this lesson by now after all of my postings on this blog about this exact topic, but pride really does come before the fall!

No sooner than I had washed my hands of the last bit of cream cheese and sat down at my computer to check my email, I clicked into my inbox to find a message awaiting me from the lady who was heading up the picnic...

It had been canceled due to rain.

Sigh...

All I could do was laugh at myself.

Later that night, I asked Paul to take some cupcakes to my neighbor, we shared a few with friends after dinner on Saturday night, Paul and I ate a few more than we probably should have and I brought the rest to the evening service last night.

Cupcake crisis averted. But next time, when I offer to make cupcakes or any other baked goods, I'll probably check the forecast and I'll also be sure to check my heart to make sure it's intentions are a bit better.

0 comments on "Abundance of Cake"