"I have come that they might have life and have it to the full..." -John 10:10b


Monday, May 11, 2009

Mom's Day


Good Morning! I hope all of you mother's had a wonderfully relaxing Mother's Day. Mine was perfect!

I didn't wait for breakfast in bed (I'm on a diet and waiting is not something I do well), I didn't sleep in and I didn't go out to lunch. I spent my Mother's Day doing something that makes me truly happy. Painting.

When Paul woke up on Saturday morning and read my "Things to Do" post, he quickly heard the desperation in my writing to finish all of the little projects and agreed to let me get to started on the mural in Eva's room. That was the cheapest and most accessible task for the moment. Eva and I rushed out on Saturday night to purchase the acrylic paint we needed (as well as an enormous Disney Princess sticker book...I'm finding Ariel stickers all over my house!) and when we got home, I got started almost immediately! I wasn't able to finish it on Saturday, so Paul was patient on Sunday and took care of the girl's for a majority of the morning so that I could finish the mural.

I love painting because it always makes me think of my mother, which was pretty appropriate for the day, don't you think? As I painted the birds, the flowers and the grass, my mind traveled to every room I ever had (and I had a few...military brat) and how my mother always took the time to make it something I would love. Whether it was stenciling, or wallpaper or just a fresh coat of paint in a color I'd love, she poured love into every room in our house through her talent and eye for design. And in that moment, I knew exactly how she must have felt. Every hour or so, I would stand back from whatever wall I was working on and take a deep breath, exhaling with a smile on my face. "Eva will love this!" I kept thinking to myself. It's nice to be reminded that being a mom doesn't always mean putting the things you love on hold, it just means finding new ways of incorporating them into your life.

I finished the mural yesterday afternoon and I've got to tell you, I'm in love with this room. What do you think? You have to click on the pictures to really do it justice...there's a lot of detail that doesn't show up otherwise, but still, you get the general idea.


Okay, so one project checked off the list. I'm already thinking of what to do in Izzy's room but she has to move out of her crib first...


Breathe, Paulie, breathe...that's a good 6 months away.

Anyway, once we got home from church and the girls were down for the night, Paul indulged me further by presenting me with a gift that must have truly pained him to purchase...the 3 disc deluxe edition of TWILIGHT!!! And then, he watched it with me!!! Is he the best or what?!?

Sigh...it was a great Mother's Day.

8 comments on "Mom's Day"

emily said...

Annie I am beyond impressed with your decorating abilities! Freehand I might add!?!?!? You're amazing...those little girls are lucky to have such an artistic, loving, amazing mommy :)

Jacquie on May 11, 2009 at 11:57 AM said...

Omgosh, Anne! That is incredible!!! Eva is going to LOVE that! I want to go play in that room, lol. You should totally market yourself!

Love ya!

David Reed on May 11, 2009 at 12:17 PM said...

Fantastic job Annie! It looks really good. Keep up the great work.

Katie on May 11, 2009 at 1:24 PM said...

You did a great job! :) ... I want to use the set you've picked out for Izzy in Grace's room! I can't imagine we like the same stuff. ;)

~Sarah on May 11, 2009 at 8:18 PM said...

Eva's room looks amazing!

Trice on May 12, 2009 at 4:38 AM said...

I'm totally jealous of those girls. My poor mom has not one artistic bone in her body. Bless her heart, she tried though! We love stick figures in our house.

Charity said...

Eva's room is so pretty! Great job!
Ok Izzy is only 6 months away from being out of a crib??? Katie is 21/2 and still in hers - no desire to get out of it yet :)Don't rush that baby into a big girl bed - she'll have all her life for that.

Amanda Jo on May 14, 2009 at 7:16 AM said...

Wow! You are very talented!! What a great mother's day!!!