"I have come that they might have life and have it to the full..." -John 10:10b


Thursday, May 7, 2009

Legacy


The past few days I've been confronted with the realization of who I am, why I'm here and what it really looks like to truly glorify God in my everyday life. I've come to the jaw dropping conclusion that I justify so much in my life for the sake of convenience and my own short term goals that I almost hush the Holy Spirit and suppress the things that He is laying on my heart.

I won't go into detail about what all of these things are because they really do affect of myriad of places in my life. But as Eva gets older and I think more and more about the kind of young woman God would have me raise, I've taken more opportunities to look around at this world in which I'm raising her in. I'll tell you what...this world has no interest in supporting my efforts to "train up a child in the way (s)he should go." Is it just me, or does it seem as though every time we turn around, another piece of our children's innocence is being subtly slipped out of our hands? And how often do we unknowingly allow it by subjecting them to things that "are no big deal" or "really not that bad." My goodness, Eva can't even watch a movie on Playhouse Disney without seeing some teenie-bopper music video or a Hannah Montana commercial. And then we have to face things like Bratz dolls or Barbie Top Model. What on earth are we teaching our little girls about what is truly valuable? What on earth are we allowing them to believe about themselves?

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is this; I'm being hit with the overwhelming truth that being a parent is hard. It means sacrifice. Being a parent in the Lord's Army is even harder! Sacrifice doesn't even begin to describe what this life will mean. I will have to fight and fight hard to protect my girls' innocence. I will have to go to battle over their little hearts and minds daily. I will have to become a prayer warrior in it's truest sense. And most of all, I'll have to lean souly on God who ultimately has them in HIS hands.

I'm leaving a legacy here, guys...and you are too. What will that legacy look like?


I don't mind if you've got something nice to say about me
And I enjoy an accolade like the rest
You could take my picture and hang it in a gallery
Of all who's who and so-n-so's that used to be the best
At such'n'such ... it wouldn't matter much

I won't lie, it feels alright to see your name in lights
We all need an 'Atta boy' or 'Atta girl'
But in the end I'd like to hang my hat on more besides
The temporary trappings of this world

I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love? Did I point to You enough
To make a mark on things?
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace who
blessed your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy

I don't have to look too far or too long awhile
To make a lengthly list of all that I enjoy
It's an accumulating trinket and a treasure pile
Where moth and rust, thieves and such will soon enough destroy

Not well traveled, not well read, not well-to-do or well bred
Just want to hear instead, "Well Done" good and faithful one...

-Nichole Nordeman

2 comments on "Legacy"

Trice on May 7, 2009 at 11:10 PM said...

So true Anne. I have only been a mom to a girl for 18 days, but it seems like its going to be a bit tougher than with my Jadon. Besides his overwhelming interest with his man parts, I don't know how out mothers have done it. Granted we didn't have bratz and barbies were fully dressed (with appropriate clothing), but there had to be something. My dad called me when Micaela was born and told me to get my kneeling pillow out now and get a head start. I'll be praying with you.

Mandy on May 10, 2009 at 6:20 PM said...

I enjoyed your blog! Thanks for commenting on mine! I'm glad for the opportunity to meet you!