"I have come that they might have life and have it to the full..." -John 10:10b


Thursday, May 14, 2009

To Buy or Not To Buy


It seems just about everyone is buying a house these days. It's a buyer's market, so they say and the interest rates are at an all-time low. It's tempting.

As I make plans to personalize our home here on the outskirts of Ft Meade, sometimes I get a little down. I want to make this home ours as much as possible, but living the military life means that our home here is temporary and in a few years, a new family will move in and it will be as if we were never here. Sometimes I just wish that I had my own place to really make mine.

Many of our friends have recently bought homes and are making plans for them and I have to admit, I get a bit envious at times. Not because I don't love where we are right now, but because I know that it's so temporary.

I've even gone so far as to check the local real estate listings, but to be honest, there's really nothing that I've fallen in love with (at least nothing in our price range). And on top of that, we're not to keen on the idea of settling in Maryland (if we were to buy and just rent it out when it came time to move). We'd really love something in Northern Virginia and that means saving for a few more years (or decades).

All I know is that I don't want to buy a home until I fall head over heals in love with one. So until then, I'll continue to make each of our temporary homes feel like home as much as I can. Even if that means painting over some things and patching in some holes when it comes time to move.

But I'll keep daydreaming. I just hope that when it comes to buy, I'll find something that lives up to those dreams...

5 comments on "To Buy or Not To Buy"

Anonymous said...

Hello! :)

David Reed on May 14, 2009 at 8:57 AM said...

It is not always about finding your dream home...it may just be the home for right now. If you buy a house now in a "down" market and are able to sell it later when things pick back up, the profit can help you afford the home of your dreams.

Lo on May 14, 2009 at 10:05 AM said...

you will be so thankful that you didn't buy when you get orders again and it's in california or oregon or something!!! renting across 2,000 miles is super hard. i'm from a marine family, and my parents are glad they never bought until my dad retired... as it is, he had orders two states over for two years and drove home on the weekends. it was hard. just paint some rooms, rearrange furniture and dream about the farm in virginia :)

Katie on May 14, 2009 at 2:33 PM said...

Part of your criteria should be my dream house next door. Well, since we'll own acreage, we at least need to share a fence line.

Tales from Goshen on May 21, 2009 at 7:09 PM said...

wow, anne - I dig the horses dream. And the garden. I so long to have an English garden, but I fear that in my HOT southern state, that just won't work. But I understand the dreaming. I happen to have the house of my dreams, but it's funny how the dreams still keep coming - whether it's flowers growing where there are currently none, or things to do to the house, there will always be dreams. And that's ok!

And truthfully, I think it would be so much fun to have the option to apply your decorating style to MULTIPLE houses - the options are endless! You can try so many different things! I would love that!