"I have come that they might have life and have it to the full..." -John 10:10b


Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Reveal




Okay, this is it. The moment you've all been waiting for. Okay, so maybe you haven't really been waiting...perhaps I'm the only one that has been chewing my cuticles off in anticipation of this moment. Even so, I'm glad to finally present to you...

Izzy's Big Girl Room

Izzy's Big Girl Room!

Let's start with the details, shall we? The bedding, banner, throw pillow and curtains are all Rachel Ashwell's Simply Shabby Chic line for Target. I love this stuff. It makes me feel all girly and feminine and calm, which feminine and calm may be a total oxymoron, but humor me...

Izzy's Big Girl Room

Izzy's Big Girl Room

Izzy's Big Girl Room

The butterfly/birds/branches art work is courtesy of moi! Although, I really have Susie Harris to thank as she is the inspiration for most of this kind of art work in my house.

Izzy's Big Girl Room

Izzy's Big Girl Room

The fabric pom poms are also made by yours truly and you can get the super easy, super cheap (yet super time consuming...just to warn you) tutorial here.

Izzy's Big Girl Room

And, because if Izzy could formulate the words, she'd want me to show her small (but ever growing) stuffed animal collection, here it is. The. Kid. Loves. Dogs. Don't know where she got that from?!?!

Izzy's Big Girl Room

And now, let's pick it apart. Because let's be honest, that's what us girly, feminine, calm women do. We pick ourselves apart. Let's proceed...

Firstly, I need something to go over the head of the bed. Her name, a picture, some of my mom's calligraphy...something. Any suggestions?

Izzy's Big Girl Room


Secondly, this book case is temporary. My neighbor, Alex who is super handy with a saw is making me a cute little corner book case to go in that corner. Something small and white and dainty. I think it will really brighten up that corner, don't you? Oh, and a new lampshade. Something softer.

Izzy's Big Girl Room

And thirdly, I really would love a white dresser. This is my mother-in-laws dresser, which I LOVE. It's gorgeous and solid and it's perfect...but I really love white furniture in a little girl's room, so unless she's willing to let me paint this one, I see a new one in our future at some point, as well as a white headboard, but we don't want Paul to blow a gasket while reading this post so we'll just keep that in our back pocket for now.

Izzy's Big Girl Room

And just for fun, let's do some before and afters, okay?!? Those are always fun.

Before...

Izzy's Room Before

After...

Izzy's Big Girl Room

Oh, and for you safety conscience Mommy's out there, don't you worry your pretty little heads. This bed has a hideaway, extra long safety rail that pops up and locks into place whenever Izzy Bee is tucked in. She's safe and sound in that big girl bed so you can all rest easy. I sure have.

All in all, I really love how this room turned out. It doesn't completely match the picture in my head, but hey, it's not to Shabby (pun intended) considering the minuscule budget I had to work with.

Now if I could just get Izzy to stay in her new big girl bed instead of sneaking off to her sisters at night...

super secret sleep over


6 comments on "Reveal"

Erin {House of Turquoise} on April 27, 2010 at 9:57 AM said...

I. LOVE. THIS. Seriously, it's the cutest thing ever! I can't believe you did that artwork yourself! It's beautiful!

I thought I'd been over every inch of Target's website/store, and I've never seen that droolworthy bedding. I love it so much. Is it on the website? I can't find it!

Katie on April 27, 2010 at 10:14 AM said...

You did such a great job! Grace has tissue paper pom-poms in her room. Great minds.

Little Lovables on April 27, 2010 at 10:42 AM said...

it's adorable! I seriously love this, you are so talented. your brid/branch canvases are great.

For over the wall on the bed... how about this:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_pWBNTgsZgDI/S8N2gdWz9cI/AAAAAAAAA9A/lH06dY5O1Ug/s1600/DSCN15011%5B1%5D.jpg

A large frame, with one of her dresses or something else cute in it?


-------------------------
To answer the question of living with boys and white slipcovers,

Anne, I have some stains on the seats... but I wash them about every 2 weeks with some baking soda and oxiclean and they come out pretty good.

I spot clean the stains and though they don't always come out, they get lighter every time.

Of course, if it's a massive stain (like when they smashed 20+ blackberries on them) I immediately spot cleaned them with a baking soda paste, soaked them in bleach for about 30 minutes and washed them, and they came out fine.

Michael Brown on April 27, 2010 at 12:40 PM said...

Love...Love...love her new "Big" girl room. I too love the simply shabby chic stuff from Target. Both our beds have that collection on them:). I know she will grow to love her room...but it looks as though for now big sister has a roommate:)

Charity on April 27, 2010 at 2:39 PM said...

Great job, Annie!! Start looking at garage sales and thrift stores for a headboard...I've probably seen 4 or 5 around here in the last week and a half. Yoy know you could recover her lampshade in a lighter fabric - I did two in my liitle girls room. Just so you know, Katie sleeps with Emma half the time too :)

Unknown on April 27, 2010 at 3:26 PM said...

Great job! Since you're a great artist and have a small budget, what about painting a faux headboard? You could make it look like an old fashioned iron headboard in white. Then you could paint some of the birds from your mural over the bed? Whatever you do, I'm sure it will look great!
Shabby Chic Home