"I have come that they might have life and have it to the full..." -John 10:10b


Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Lacking


I am many things. Patient is not one of them. I'm notorious for jumping the gun, planning for things months (even years) in advance and acting on impulse. The people in my life who know this about me have learned to identify the signs and respond accordingly. I get talked down from quite a bit, thank goodness.

For example, we almost bought new furniture a few weeks ago. Not because we NEED new furniture, but because I saw the furniture I want eventually and didn't think I could wait. Paul has learned that I don't hear "NO" very well and so he does this amazingly sneaky little dance in which he says "okay, let's talk about it a bit more." And then that leads to "Let's look at the numbers." And then that leads to "I trust your judgement to do what's best for this family." And then that leads to me sinking down into my chair, letting out a loud exhale and saying, "Okay, okay we'll wait." Sneaky, huh?

Well...right now, it's Christmas decorations. I am THAT person who gets my panties all wadded up over these big retailers who put up their Christmas stuff RIGHT after Halloween. I mean, can we have November please?!? Thanksgiving?!?! And don't get me wrong, putting up Christmas decor in the beginning of November is, in my opinion, a bit tacky but I'm feeling the urge to put up my Christmas tree right now...today...at this moment.

Does anyone know the actual etiquette for Christmas decor? How early is too early? Can I have my Christmas tree up on Thanksgiving day or would that have Emily Post rolling in her grave? Do I need to be talked down from this one? And if so, proceed...


4 comments on "Lacking"

Emily said...

Day AFTER Thanksgiving Anne, the day after.

David Reed on November 24, 2009 at 6:32 AM said...

I will try to get this one in before Katie has a chance to feed the fire. You should wait until Thanksgiving day (or the day after) to put up your tree and lights. The decorations should all be down by the end of New Year's Day.

Because we will be out of town all weekend, we are going to start putting things up tonight, put we will not finish and fire up the lights until we get back.

Katie will tell you to put them up after you get home from fireworks on the 4th of July and take them down after church on Easter Sunday.

Katie on November 24, 2009 at 7:15 AM said...

So I've checked my mammoth book of Emily Post Etiquette that my mom gave me for Christmas one year (subtle mom), and there is no mention of when is the appropriate time to decorate. I'm thinking today. We've waited this long. Maybe if we just don't plug the lights in until the day after Thanksgiving? Right? That could count? (As if either of us would wait if they were all up and looking twinkly and perfect.)

Emily said...

Do not give in to the temptation! Two more days Annie! It will NOT kill you. One holiday at a time sweet Anne, if you put Christmas up before or during Thanksgiving you miss out on an important day of gratitude because youre so taken over by the lights and the tree! Wait, you can do it!