"I have come that they might have life and have it to the full..." -John 10:10b


Monday, November 9, 2009

Unexpected


Paul and I took the girls down to Theodore Roosevelt Island in DC yesterday. Paul and Eva had been there before and he was eager to show me all of the sights. I was eager to finally get our Christmas picture out of the way and we agreed that Teddy Island would be the perfect spot for our portrait. No, no you won't see it in this post. I'm saving it for the Christmas cards we plan to send out in a few short weeks (my head is still reeling that it's already the 9th of November!).
Silhouette
Anyway, as we loaded the girls into the stroller and began our leisurely stroll through the trails of the island, I readied the camera eager to capture every fleeting color of fall. We stopped here and there to snap a quick shot and we eventually captured our family portrait. Once we had accomplished the perfect pose, the pressure was off and we eased our pace even further to take in the sights and unusually warm air.
Almost Fallen
The girls were tired and therefore somewhat quiet during our Sunday walk and Paul and I fell easily into conversation. We shared a Bosc pear and I embarked on my usual ritual of trying to convince him why we should get a dog. He chuckled and mumbled something about my persistence. I don't know why but all of the sudden I found myself thoroughly enjoying the time. We weren't alone, we weren't on a romantic date and there were no roses or the sound of Tony Bennet playing softly in the background. It was me and Paul and our little family and we were talking about how much we liked photography and taking trips as this one. I looked over at my husband more than a few times with pure satisfaction in my gaze. He really is my best friend. I really do love being with him.
Paul
We walked some more and came to a platform that looked out onto the swamp. The only thing separating us from the murky waters were two thick ropes that connected to sturdy wooden beams. I dazed. I looked closely at the worn ropes and this is what came to my mind
Tied
"Two are better than one because they have a good return for their labor. For if either of them falls, the one will lift up his companion. But woe to the one who falls when there is not another to lift him up. Furthermore, if two lie down together they keep warm, but how can one be warm alone? And if one can overpower him who is alone, two can resist. A cord of three strands is not easily broken." -Ecclesiastes 4:9-12
Three Fold Cord
It was a wonderful excursion with with an unexpected twist. I fell in love just a little bit more with the man I married.
True Love

Me and My Baby
Lord,

Thank you for this man that you've brought me. He's patient and kind, firm and steadfast. He's an amazing father and a bosom friend. Thank you for the trials that you've walked us through. They've only worked to grow us together and to more tightly form the cord of our marriage. Thank you Lord, for my best friend.

Amen.

1 comments on "Unexpected"

Katie on November 9, 2009 at 1:00 PM said...

I think this is my most favorite post so far.