"I have come that they might have life and have it to the full..." -John 10:10b


Wednesday, October 29, 2008

A Few of my Favorite Things


I know that every mother must have moments in her day when she thinks to herself, "Man, my kid is so adorable/funny/cute/quirky/weird. I need to write that down so I can tell her about it when she's older." Well, that's been happening to me a lot lately.

For example, Éva has added an object to her brigade of things that go to bed with her. She lays down, cuddles up with Lumpy, her blanket and a few books, and then she asks for her "Einstein Bok." What is this, you ask? Well, it's the box that her Little Einstein fruit snacks came in. She has finished all the individually wrapped packages of fruit snacks inside and is now thoroughly enjoying the yellow box with all the Little Einsteins characters on the front. So weird. But memorable none the less.

She has also begun to dress herself. And boy is she...creative. She recently came down stairs with a pink tank top over a white T-shirt, her fairy wings, and a sleeve on her head. Oh no, you read right. A sleeve. You see, Paul sometimes cuts the sleeves the off of his old shirts to make them "muscle shirts." He wears them to go running or to work in the yard and every now and then, we'll find one of the amputated sleeves in random places around the house. I'm not sure where Éva found this particular sleeve, but she took one look at it and apparently saw a fashionable chapéu. We think she may have subconsciously learned this from our friend, Ben who uses cut-off sleeves as a make-shift doo-rag when he's working outside...way to go Ben!



And Izzy. Izzy has reached the seemingly never-ending phase of taking whatever is in her hand and putting it in her mouth! From my fingers to shirts to our noses, anything that comes near the hands, goes in the mouth. This is the stage where the germ-a-phobe in me comes out! Yesterday, I captured her trying desperately to grab the crazy straw in my water mug. She would make a frantic swipe and then immediately pull her hands to her mouth in hopes that she had caught something, only to realize she had missed. You could literally see the determination in her face as she focused in on the hot pink hue of the straw, formulating her next strategy. I watched this a little longer than I should have because, although she never grabbed the straw, she did manage to bat at it hard enough to send the entire mug to the floor, spilling water everywhere!




But who could not LOVE this face?!?


2 comments on "A Few of my Favorite Things"

Tales from Goshen on October 29, 2008 at 3:44 PM said...

Anne, that is so funny! Both the amputated arm hat -I about peed in my pants. And the concentrated swipes by Izzy. Kids are like having your own personal comedian running around. And yes, it's impossible to capture all the hilarious things that make up who they are and why we love them. Love sharing this with you even via blogworld.

Jacquie on October 31, 2008 at 8:38 PM said...

Yes! I knew those fairy wings would come into play one of these days... I was only a year or so off, lol! :P