"I have come that they might have life and have it to the full..." -John 10:10b


Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Turkey/Vegetable Manicotti


I recently discovered a cook book (Betty Crocker's Healthy New Choices) that was given to Paul and I when we first married. I do remember getting the cook book, I don't remember why I put on the top shelf to collect dust, but any-hoo, I found it and I'm trying many recipes from it.

Last night, I decided to make the vegetable manicotti. The recipe did not call for any meat, but I'm married to a carnivore and I don't think he would touch a vegetarian dish with a 10 foot pole, so I included ground turkey.

Because the recipe called for zucchini and squash, and because I am married to such a carnivorous man and have a very picky 2 year old, I tried to season the turkey thoroughly so as to mask any veggie taste the dish might have. And when I put the warm, hearty meal in front of my family, I was proud and hopeful that I had not only given them a delicious meal, but a healthy one too.



Well, this was the end result...








And this is what happened next. Notice the very distinct line of demarcation between what is considered "yummy" (the turkey, cheese, pasta and pasta sauce) and "yucky" (the vegetables). And no...this is NOT my 2 year old's plate. This is PAUL'S plate.

Éva very contently gobbled up her pasta without notice of the lurking veggies under the mounds of spaghetti sauce and Parmesan cheese. Here she is making her "mmmmmmmm" face.

3 comments on "Turkey/Vegetable Manicotti"

Paul Cortez on October 15, 2008 at 6:44 PM said...

What?! I asked you to cut the veggies up thin before you made it but you decided to leave them the size of quarters.

Seriously, I don't know what's funnier. The fact that I have the palette of a six-yr old or the fact that we eat 98% of our meals on paper plates?? Word to Dora....

Anonymous said...

Total giggles!

Jacquie on October 22, 2008 at 2:16 AM said...

Hahaha! That's hilarious! :)

I've 95% given up on cooking for Ryan... he's on his own, lol. More for me!!!! LoL. :D