"I have come that they might have life and have it to the full..." -John 10:10b


Thursday, October 16, 2008

If You Want It Done Right





...you have to do it yourself.

Last night, Paul and I took Éva to get her first real hair cut at a salon specifically for kids. We did this because we knew that she would NOT do well with a stranger approaching her with scissors, and this particular shop would most likely have experience with kids of her nature.

We were right. Éva screamed and cried, but the lady was persistent and cut her hair anyway. We finally got Éva to calm a bit when she realized that they had flat screen TVs all over the shop playing "Happy Feet."

I asked the lady if she could do a bob and she said it was probably not a good idea for her first hair cut experience. She explained that it's a complicated cut and she would need Éva to be very still for the entire thing. I wasn't happy about this, but I settled for a trim just to get Éva acclimated to the idea of a hair cut.

Well...I really HATED the hair cut. I mean it looked like a mullet, people. It was bad. And although I'm so appreciative of the stylist's willingness to be patient with Éva, and although I know she probably did the best cut she could considering the situation, I really HATED the cut. So this morning, after I had decided that no, the cut had not grown on me, I decided to cut it myself.

Éva did great. She was super still and very patient with me as I tried my best to hone in on my years of watching people cut my hair and listening to them talk out loud as they worked. And I have to say, the end result is pretty good. I'm sure that a professional could've done a much better job but still, I'm proud and I think Éva looks great!

4 comments on "If You Want It Done Right"

David Reed on October 16, 2008 at 6:22 PM said...

Business in the front, party in the back.

Katie on October 16, 2008 at 8:38 PM said...

Oh Anne, she's so pretty!

Paul Cortez on October 18, 2008 at 6:12 PM said...

You will no longer have access to a pair of shears for the next 16 years.

Tales from Goshen on October 18, 2008 at 7:06 PM said...

SUPER awesome, Anne! She looks great which means you DID great! I'm so proud of you!