"I have come that they might have life and have it to the full..." -John 10:10b


Thursday, March 12, 2009

Unloading...In More Ways Than One


Unpacking can be an emotional experience. As you sort through boxes, you inevitably find things that bring back fond memories. Items you haven't seen in forever all of the sudden re-appear to remind you of how things used to be.

I love my life the way it is right now. I wouldn't change a thing about it. I look at pictures of when I was young and single and had zero responsibilities and I honestly don't pine for those days even a smidgen. My body, however...

Wow! I was cute, friends.

As Paul and I went through a box of military awards, medals and unit photographs, I came across my class photo from when I graduated from intelligence training at Goodfellow AFB in Texas back in 2005. Granted, I was decked out in camo from head to toe, but I was lean and tan and healthy. That wasn't my lowest weight ever, but I was happy.

And now, two babies later...well, I certainly don't look like that anymore.

So now, we're mostly settled into the house and I've started going to the gym again. The last time I was part of an actual gym was back in 2001/2002. I was 19 and my dear friend, Ashley, a professed workout-aholic, was an incredible accountability partner. I LOVED working out with her. She had me so fired up about fitness that I would spend 45 minutes doing cardio at the gym followed by a little weight training and then, once I got home, I'd run sprints up and down my street only to finish off by doing 100's of situps and pushups.

Once I joined the military, our workouts were pretty routine. We had unit PT and it mostly consisted of running the track and doing calisthenics.

But now, it's just me. Yes, of course my husband offers me some good moral support, but this has to be just for me. So, yesterday was my first morning workout at my new gym (which is really just the workout room at my neighborhood community center, but hey...baby steps).

I don't know what it is about going to a new gym that is so unnerving for me. When I walk in for the first time with the sheepish, "I know I shouldn't be here look on my face," I feel like everyone is staring at my pasty, lanky knock-kneed legs and thinking to themselves, "this should be good." All of the sudden, my keen ability to figure things out fairly quickly escapes me and I'm fumbling over buttons on the treadmill. My Ipod becomes a mystery and my headphones won't stay in my ears. I'm unsure of the "rules" and whether or not someone else would be bothered by my turning on the TV. My shorts want to ride up the whole time I'm running and I'm continually pulling them down (only highlighting my horse legs and my lack of cooridination). 10 minutes into my workout, I'm sweating like a pig, my face bright red and I'm huffing and puffing like the big, bad wolfe with asthma all the while the Marine chick next to me has been on the treadmill for like, an hour, and there's no sign of any fatigue on her. Ugh.

But I'll keep plugging away. I may however, be investing in a few good pair of workout pants.

5 comments on "Unloading...In More Ways Than One"

Anonymous said...

You go girl! Im proud of you...now if only I had some motivation! Oh, and insider tip dont get the pants that make the swish noise its terribly annoying when youre on the treadmill!

David Reed on March 12, 2009 at 8:39 AM said...

Stick with it! We were doing the Couch to 5K plan, but then the weather got really cold...now we are waiting for the warm to come back. As much as it stinks at first once I get in to the routine and start seeing results it gets much easier.

As a singleton, being in shape was for pure vanity...and to keep the ladies happy ;), but now as a parent I think it is our responsibility to be as healthy as possible for our children. They need our good example, plus they need us to live good long healthy lives for them.

BTW Adidas makes some good-looking workout pants for us long-legged lanky folk :)

Katie on March 13, 2009 at 7:34 AM said...

I would never call those terrifically long legs of your lanky. You should ignore my husband, who meant well, on that point.

However, I totally feel ya on the gym thing!

Trice on March 13, 2009 at 11:25 PM said...

Ha! They all had to start somewhere too. You should be so proud of yourself and just worry about you and your goals. Keep at it Anne!

Tales from Goshen on March 16, 2009 at 2:53 PM said...

First of all, I'm proud of you. Second of all, I can tell you that veteran gym-goers such as myself are always proud of those people who walk in looking uncertain. The first step is always the hardest. But anyone who's committed to fitness is happy to see another person making that same commitment. There is rarely any scorn directed to anyone unless the person is really trying to lift way too much weight in an attempt to look buff. And remember, most people working out hard aren't focusing on too much other than getting their workout in and done. At least, that's my story. And you should see my clothes. I have about two shirts that I rotate and are WELL known to all members of my gym and I could care less! I could beat them all up anyway! Just kidding. I'm SO proud of you, Anne-girl.