"I have come that they might have life and have it to the full..." -John 10:10b


Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Visit From Gigi and Colonel


This past week, my parents flew in from Florida to meet Izzy for the first time and to babysit both girls while Paul and I spent the weekend in Baltimore for a marriage retreat.

I was so excited to see them, but a bit nervous about leaving the girls for two nights. The only other time I've been separated from one my children was after Eva's heart surgery in 2007 and that was NOT by choice. She was in the PICU for 5 days and they wouldn't allow me to stay the night with her due to lack of space. Leaving her every night was gut wrenching.

This time wasn't as gut wrenching being as both of my children are in good health and I knew they would be in the care of two people that God untrusted with my own life just 26 years ago, but it was still a little nerve racking. People, I'm the mom that comes home from a 2 hour date with Paul to pull my sleeping children out of bed just to hold them, to make sure they are still breathing and well.

But, the weekend went off without a hitch and my parents were even able drive down to Northern Virginia with the girls to visit my brother, his wife and their precious children. Paul and I had a wonderfully rejuvenating weekend together, listening to different speakers and spending some time in meaningful reflection and savoring our much needed "alone time." If you ever get a chance to attend a Family Life Weekend to Remember conference, I highly recommend it!

Anyway, once the conference was over, we were able to spend another 3 days with Gigi and Colonel before they had to jump on their plane and head back to Florida. In that 3 days, we did quite a bit!

Sunday, we headed into Baltimore's Inner Harbor to show my parents some sights and grab some lunch. It was a beautiful, warm, sunny day and we had so much fun just walking around and marveling at the Baltimore skyline.


We were also able to catch some almost free street entertainment courtesy of this guy...


I say almost free because he did weasel a buck out of my dad as part of his bit. It was pretty funny.

The remainder of their time was spent mainly at home with me and the girls as Paul still had to return to work on Monday. My mom and I were able to accomplish a few projects together and my got to do a little of his own sight-seeing in Annapolis which is only 30 minutes up the road.

Yes, I know. I'm a horrible daughter. I invite my parents up and make them babysit and do projects around my house. I then send my dad off on his own to sight-see solo. But guys, if you knew my mom, you'd know that she lives for a good home project. And if you knew my dad, you'd know that he'll jump at any opportunity to visit a military installation with as much history and infamy as Annapolis. And solo is even better in his book...none of us women-folk to hurry him along.

So...do you wanna see what I meant by projects?!? Of course you do!

First, we laid shelf liner all over my kitchen...


Then, we planted a cute little garden in my front yard. Gerber Daisies and Pansies. I don't know guys...I haven't had much luck with plants in the past. But I'm determined this time. I figure that if I've been able to keep two humans alive pretty well, I should be able to handle a few measly flowers.



And finally, the grand finale...


Aren't they so cool?!? I tell you, these chairs needed a major overhaul. When Paul and I first purchased them, the cushions were a sateen white. But 9 months of abuse from my teenage sister coupled with a 2 year old's refusal to use a booster seat didn't prove well for those once white cushions. They were looking pretty dern dingy. But one evening with my mom and vioa la! I just love them!

Oh, and this post isn't over yet. I have some adorable pics of my parents with the girls...


Loved having you Mom and Dad! Can't wait till next time!!!

1 comments on "Visit From Gigi and Colonel"

Liz Harrell on March 26, 2009 at 8:22 AM said...

What a sweet post! I'm so glad you had a getaway and some good times with your parents! And the fabric on those chairs is making me SO jealous! Love your taste. :)

Thanks also for your kind comment yesterday, it was so sweet and I really appreciate it.

Hugs,
Liz