"I have come that they might have life and have it to the full..." -John 10:10b


Thursday, October 1, 2009

Colonel Softy



I was raised in a military home. I was taught to make my bed with hospital corners and that wiping down the top of the fridge (along with every other surface in the fridge) was part of cleaning the kitchen. I was expected to say "Yes Sir", "No Sir", "Yes Ma'am" and "No Ma'am."
I was taught to fold my shirts in such a way that they formed almost perfect squares in my drawers and that you ALWAYS stand up straight with your right hand over your heart whenever you hear the National Anthem. Some might call this indoctrination, but I just call it being taught good, old fashioned respect.

I have of course, already instilled some of these same standards in my girls. Not the making the bed or cleaning the fridge part necessarily, but absolutely their manner of speaking to not only me but to other adults. I know that being able to look someone in the eye when they're speaking to you and respond with respect can get you far in life.

With my dad around lately, my sense of honor is heightened. He is, of course, incredibly supportive of our efforts with the girls as we pass down that legacy of respect. The indoctrination continues, I suppose...




But that's not to say that they girls aren't doing a bit of indoctrinating themselves :)







1 comments on "Colonel Softy"

Charity on October 1, 2009 at 5:24 PM said...

Precious! Thanks for sharing those Annie!