"I have come that they might have life and have it to the full..." -John 10:10b


Friday, October 9, 2009

It Starts



I love the holidays. I love the warmth of cozy sweaters and old movies with a cup of hot cocoa in hand. I love decorating and the smell of cinnamon and all spice in every kitchen. I love the crisp breeze in the evening and the aroma of fireplaces burning in the distance. I love holiday baking...

I also despise holiday baking.

I love to bake. I do. It's fun and it makes me feel all Suzie-Homemaker-ish. And there really is no better time to bake then when the air starts turning cool outside.

I also need to lose ___ lbs. Yes, I'm still working on it. Let's just say that starting a cupcake business in the middle of weight loss endeavors has proven to be a conflict of interest. Shocker...right?

But I can't help it. I love to bake. It's a way of making memories with Eva (and teaching her shapes, math, texture, colors, etc.) She loves to help me bake and I love that she loves to help me bake.

So, last week, when I opened my pantry to a container of Quaker Oats that I had purchased to make the topping for a peach streusel I made when my dad was here, I figured the best way to use the rest of them all up was, of course, oatmeal cookies.

They were delicious. No nuts, no chocolate chips, no raisins. Just yummy brown sugar, rolled oats goodness!


I threw half of them away when I realized that I was having a hard time stopping at one...or four.

And then, my neighbor brought over this...


Pumpkin Bread. Pumpkin bread with walnuts, golden raisins and a maple glaze. Ugh.

I had two slices and then wrapped the rest in foil and hid it in the back of my freezer.

I'm doomed. I'm destined to carry an extra ___ lbs for the rest of eternity. How does a girl who loves to bake (and who loves baked goods) lose weight during the holidays?!?

Well, I do have some extra motivation these days. Remember that puppy I want so bad?!? If I can lose X number of lbs before Christmas, guess what will be under my tree on Christmas morning?!? Yep! If I want a puppy, I'm going to have to work for it. I'm going to have to resist the baked goods through the holiday season.

Cross your fingers and say your prayers, because I have a can of pumpkin pie filling in my pantry calling out to me as I type.


1 comments on "It Starts"

Erin {House of Turquoise} on October 9, 2009 at 9:04 AM said...

I hear you with the baking/weight dilemma! I have the same exact struggle and it's terrible...especially around the holidays! But what better incentive than a puppy?! I can't think of one! Good luck, I know you can do it!