"I have come that they might have life and have it to the full..." -John 10:10b


Thursday, October 22, 2009

My Little Control Freak


The Terrible Twos. That's what I was scared of. That's what I spent the first 24 months of Eva's life preparing for. Turns out...the Terrible Twos aren't so terrible. In fact, they're a breeze compared to the Trying Three's!

Eva

My precious first born has taken it upon herself in recent months to show me how it is. She does this in seemingly insignificant ways but when it all adds up, at the end of day, I'm tired of butting heads with her. She is a persistent little bull.

For example, this is a typical conversation in which Eva tries desperately to exert her will over mine:

Eva: Mother, I'm hungry

Me: Okay, well would you like yogurt and granola or a piece of fruit?

Eva: Um....um....*finger on her chin*....um....yogurt...no apple....no yogurt.

Me: Okay, so you want yogurt?

Eva: Yes

Me: *fixes yogurt and granola with pride and sets it before her at the table*

Eva: NO! I want apples!

Me: Eva, you told me you wanted yogurt, do you remember that? Have you changed your mind?

Eva: NO! I want apples!

Me: Why don't you go ahead and eat the yogurt and you can have an apple later.

Eva: NO! I'm not hungry! *gets up from the table and storms off*

Me: *Hangs my head in defeat wondering what the heck I'm supposed to do.*

Eva and I.

I have to admit, she comes by it naturally. That Paul is a stubborn, stubborn man....no? Okay, okay it's me. I'm stubborn, strong-willed, a control freak and any other name you want to assign to an type-A, anal-retentive.

I remember my parents saying something along the lines of "Annie, one day you'll have a child who is a stubborn as you are and then you'll know! That's what it will take for you to fully understand what it's like to discipline you sometimes."

Eva and I

For the record, Mom, Dad...I get it. I'm sorry.

3 comments on "My Little Control Freak"

David Reed on October 22, 2009 at 5:26 AM said...

It is like you were spying on a typical day around here. I would like to tell you that it passes quickly, but Liam will be four soon enough and we are still butting heads. Hang in there and give the girls lots of hugs from me!

Katie on October 22, 2009 at 12:53 PM said...

I wish I could tell you it gets better...Oh apparently that's what Dave said. Just keep reminding yourself that she's smart and pretty. That's what I do about Liam.

Fresh Batch Jams on October 23, 2009 at 7:00 AM said...

YES...three's are the "FUN" years! I think I just learned the trick - don't ask them what they want just give it to them. It seems to work for the most part.

Love the photos of you and Eva!