"I have come that they might have life and have it to the full..." -John 10:10b


Wednesday, December 9, 2009

A Picture Worth 1,000 Words


As you know, Paul and I went down to Old Town Alexandria a few weekends ago. We happened across this couple a few times during our stroll. I guess they were on the same path we were.

Break

Army uniforms in and of themselves are not an unusual sight for me. In fact, they are very much a part of my every day. Even though Paul is in the Air Force, we are stationed at an Army Post, and therefore, are surrounded by a plethora of Army uniforms. However, to see a uniform in a place like Old Town is unusual and somewhat out of place.
I was immediately intrigued as the grey and white shades of digitized camouflage flashed across my line of sight and I zeroed in on a man and his love. I never got a look at their faces but the way he held her was so endearing to me.

Taking a Moment

Usually, when in uniform, you are to restrain your affection to a quick kiss and holding hands. But this guy couldn't keep his hands off of his girl and it melted me. I don't know what their situation was, but the way they interacted suggested that they were really trying to treasure every moment together, as if a separation was in their near future.

Saying Goodbye

It's one of the duty hazards when in the military. You're bound to be separated from the ones you love at some point for training, or a deployment or temporary duty or something. Military wives have to come to a place where we accept this an inevitable and deal with it. I've had to deal with it before and I will again, I'm sure.

However, this tortuous aspect of military life does make you appreciate your every day with one another all the more. Just the simple act of waking up next to Paul is something I take joy in. Not in a "make-him-breakfast--in-bed-everyday" kind of way, but in a "I-feel-safe-because-he's-here-next-to-me-and-alot-of-other-military-wives-don't-have-that-today" kind of way.
I guess that's why this couple plucked my heart strings in such a special way. It seemed they were really valuing the moment together, whether or not an impending separation was in the works.

3 comments on "A Picture Worth 1,000 Words"

Emily said...

Tears all over my face!

Katie on December 9, 2009 at 8:01 AM said...

That one hits home a little bit.

Mandy on December 10, 2009 at 7:13 AM said...

Wow. It does say a lot. Thanks for sharing them. And thank you for what you have done for you country. I heart you!