"I have come that they might have life and have it to the full..." -John 10:10b


Monday, December 14, 2009

The Trouble with Christmas Pictures


Paul and I thought we'd taken the perfect family photo a few weeks back during a walk through Teddy Roosevelt Island. When we got home and uploaded onto our computer we were bummed to discover that it wasn't nearly as brilliant as we'd thought it would be. In fact...it was down right bad. Blurry faces, harsh shadows, squinty eyes, messy hair and of course, runny noses...that's how'd I'd characterize our "perfect family photo."

So began an ongoing debate about whether or not we really needed a Christmas photo in the cards I'd planned to send out. I said yes, absolutely, without a doubt. Paul disagreed. We procrastinated and then I realized that I had to get my cards out soon if they were for sure going to make it to every destination before Christmas. So, I took matters into my own hands and decided on sending out a picture of just the girls.

Easy enough...so I thought.

I decked the girls out in their new Christmas outfits (clearance at Gymboree!...thanks again Katie!) and set out to pose them in front of our tree. I thought it would be simple, quick, a breeze. I was wrong...on so many levels.

Izzy started throwing a tantrum...I don't know why. Eva wouldn't look at the camera.

CCPS5

Eva finally looked at me but refused to smile. Izzy was still screaming. I still don't know why.

CCPS4

I tried standing them up. Izzy calmed down. Eva started crying. I have no idea why.

CCPS 2

Then Eva got really upset. This caused Izzy to get really upset. No stinkin' clue as to why.

CCPS 3

Maybe it's because their mother was taking pictures of them while they were doing their ugly cry.

Christmas Card Photo Shoot

And this is what I ended up with...

Christmas Card Picture

But don't expect to see it in your Christmas card. Oh no. I sent them to Walmart to be printed and when I went to pick them up this morning, they looked horrible. Pixely. Bad.

So, my Christmas cards went out sans Christmas picture. But, it's certainly not for lack of trying...just for the record.

4 comments on "The Trouble with Christmas Pictures"

David Reed on December 14, 2009 at 5:14 AM said...

Oh Anne! I am sorry you had such a rough time. The girls look adorable, wails and all.

We have had similar issues with the Wal-Mart photo printing. We have started sending a test print before we do large runs of photos.

Katie on December 14, 2009 at 7:08 AM said...

I laughed so hard I cried. Not at your plight, but at the shared plight of mothers everywhere.

Also, one of my greatest loves is shopping for your little girls! Especially when it's your money that ends up being spent. ;) (Don't tell Paul, he wont let me email you anymore.)

Erin {House of Turquoise} on December 14, 2009 at 8:07 AM said...

Oh my gosh, those pictures are so funny! It cracks me up to see the "behind the scenes!" Ha! The card looks so great here, I can't believe the printing looked so bad! What a disappointment!

Fresh Batch Jams on December 14, 2009 at 8:28 AM said...

Too cute. We too do not have photos but its from my lack of planning unlike yours. I love the last photo of Izzy looking at big sis as for reassurance that "we are still upset right?!" Sometimes the moment is not pretty but its still the moment! Love it!