"I have come that they might have life and have it to the full..." -John 10:10b


Monday, April 27, 2009

Born To Worship


Paul and I went to church last night. We've been attending a rather large church about 20 minutes away due to an invitation from some friends and we're really enjoying it. The music is great, the Sunday night service is low-key and relaxed (and not-so-large) and the lessons are interesting and practical. For example, the last few weeks, we've been discussing the topic of evolution and actually getting into the science behind both the theory of evolution (as it pertains to Darwin's Origin of the Species) and the fact of creation. Paul and I have walked away after each service with something to think and talk about. I love that.

Eva is having a great time in the toddler room too. The three times she's stayed back there, she's come out with a new project that she immediately pushes in my face with exuberant pride.

Izzy on the other hand...not so much. She is the throws of the dreaded "separation anxiety" and each time I've left her in the nursery, I've been paged to come calm her. The first night I was paged, I stayed back in the nursery with her and she eventually calmed enough to get down and go explore, but still turned around to look for me every few minutes. The second night I was paged, the service was almost over so I just took her out of the nursery and we stood in the back of the sanctuary to sing the last few worship songs and wait for Paul. And then, I was paged again last night toward the end.

The lesson in the service was so good that I decided to just pull Izzy out of the nursery and bring her back into the sanctuary, praying that she would be quiet and plugging her up with a pacifier just in case. She was great. A few "ada's" and "mama's" but nothing to be embarrassed over.

The service was drawing to a close as the worship team approached the stage and took their positions among their instruments. The lead guitarist and the keyboardist(?) began playing some soft intro music as the pastor led the closing prayer and Izzy seemed to sense that something fun was about to happen. She immediately scooted to the edge of my lap, balancing on my knees and peered over the seat in front of us (which was empty, thank goodness), her body tense with anticipation.

The pastor said "Amen" and Izzy squealed as the band started playing the first song of the closing set. The played "Heart of Worship" and Izzy bounced up and down and waved her arms around (as is customary for her brand of dancing). The second song began and this time, I let Izzy stand in my lap so she could see the band a little better. We sang "From the Inside Out" and she threw her hands up in the air and squealed again with excitement. She waved her hands around some more, and at certain points during the song, she would get so worked up that she would ball her little hands into fists and her whole body would tremble. Paul and I giggled at her and I reveled in the moment.

As I stared at my overjoyed little girl, I pondered the topic of the service. How could anyone deny a Creator? Just look at my baby. Look at what He did. She was so perfectly formed, every part of her little body working together so intricately so that she could do exactly what she was created to do...praise her Maker!

"...Everlasting, Your light will shine when all else fades
Never ending, Your glory goes beyond all fame
And the cry of my heart is to bring You praise
From the inside out Lord, my soul cries out..."
-Hillsong United, From the Inside Out
              

0 comments on "Born To Worship"