"I have come that they might have life and have it to the full..." -John 10:10b


Friday, April 3, 2009

Bringing Up Girls


I'm scared.

I've been reading "The Lolita Effect" in recent weeks. It's taking me forever to get through it because after reading a few pages, I find myself so mentally and emotionally worked up and freaked out that I slam the book closed and begin praying as I curl up into the fetal position under the blanket on my bed and try to think "happy thoughts" as I attempt to go to sleep.

Yes, it's that bad. The book is not bad by any stretch, but the topic is frightening, especially if you're a mother of girls.

It's about the early sexualization of girls in our society. It addresses things that are found all over our culture that encourage young girls to dress inappropriately, behave in appropriately and all together grow up way too fast. From dolls like the Bratz dolls with their mini-skirts and tube tops all in the name of fashion to seemingly innocent shows like Hannah Montana who's content is more age-appropriate for a 12 or 13 year old, but who's actual audience are 6 and 7 year olds. Why? Because the 12 and 13 year olds are watching MTV and VH1! And guys, I don't even feel old enough for some of the stuff on those networks!

Anyway, I'm half way through the book and I've realized that after all of this negative, dooms-day information that I'm digesting every evening, it's easy to fall into the trap of hopelessness. Especially if you're like me, and you believe that things will most likely get worse before they get better. My poor little girls. I fear what kind of world they will be faced with when they come of age. I'm pretty sure it won't be a world that encourages purity and piety and modesty.

And that's where I cling to Jesus. He is the ray of hope in this destitute place. Raising children is scary, it's hard and it's messy. But if I put my hope in Him, if I can set an example of purity, piety and modesty for my children, if I can fill them with His Word and His promises and the truth that they are fearfully and wonderfully made by a God who has a purpose for their lives, than they'll be able to face the darkness in this place.

To all of my dear friends raising children, and to all of those who hope to be one day, you're in my prayers. This parenting stuff isn't for the faint of heart, for we have been tasked with supplying the world with the next generation of warriors, leaving a legacy of faith, virtue and truth.

Needless to say, I'll be reading this book next...

1 comments on "Bringing Up Girls"

Trice on April 3, 2009 at 3:06 PM said...

No worries Anne. What am I of all people thinking, lots of worries! However, you have to trust that no matter the path your girls decide to take, they will eventually end up where you and Paul raised them to be, and be some of the most amazing, independent, confident, respectable women you knew they would be.