"I have come that they might have life and have it to the full..." -John 10:10b


Friday, July 17, 2009

Isabela = Consecrated to God


consecrate: to devote to a purpose with or as if with deep solemnity or dedication

Whenever I look at my children, I immediately think of the brave decision Samuel's mother, Hannah made when he was newly weaned. She did not just devote herself to raising him in the fear and admonition of the Lord, but she actually brought him to the temple and left him there to be used in whatever way God would choose. Talk about a baby dedication.

As Christian mothers, we're called to devote ourselves to raising our children with the same dedication Hannah had. Thank goodness that we're not called to leave our infants on the church doorstep, but there does come a day when we have to let go and allow the Lord to use the children we've poured heart and soul into for His glory. This can mean many things, and my mind feels both anxious and hesitant to find out what it is the Lord will ask of my girls. Will he call them to the deep jungles of Peru to spread the gospel and minister to the orphans there? Will he ask them to be pastor's wives? Will he call them to live the simple life of a wife and mother in a small, inglorious town? Whatever it is, I know that I'll have to be able to loosen my hold on them.


I can't imagine that at all right now. I'm the paranoid mom who calls out from the laundry room to make sure they're okay in the living room because I've been away for more than 45 seconds and I'm sure that they've found a way to turn a plastic toy into a fatality. I'm the mom who has nightmares about my children wandering too far from me and my not being able to find them. I'm a bit of worry wort when it comes to my girls, as I'm sure my mommy buddies can relate to. How the heck will I be able to let go when the Lord calls me to?

I don't know. But I do know this; I fell in love with name Isabela for a reason. I loved the idea of my baby being consecrated to her Maker. Picking the name Isabela was my way of vowing to the Lord that I would raise her with that same passion and dedication that Hannah emplified when she brought her baby boy to the temple.

And today, on her first birthday, I re-affirm that vow. Of all the things I want for my little girl and her big sister, the thing my heart desires most for them is that they will come to love their Maker with a love that overwhelms and dictates their every decision. That they will not be molded by the pressures and expectations of this world but they will live with a peace and a confidence in what the Lord has called them to be...set apart.

This last year with her has flown by and time will continue to fly I'm sure. But today, Isabela is still entrusted to me by our Creator and that is not a position I will take for granted or take lightly.

Happy Birthday Isabela Grace! I love you so much!

5 comments on "Isabela = Consecrated to God"

Katie on July 18, 2009 at 7:16 AM said...

Happy Birthday Izzy! I long to meet you!

Paul Cortez on July 18, 2009 at 7:31 AM said...

I think you missed that memo I released saying that our daughters will never ever get married. I'll send another.

Emily said...

Good luck with that Paulie! And happiest of birthdays to Izzy and to you Annie! You might not have been born today but you were doing the birthing :) Love you!

Fresh Batch Jams on July 18, 2009 at 12:54 PM said...

Happy Birthday IZZY!!!

PS - Paul - Dream on. Have you seen how beautiful your girls are. You will be fighting them away! Have a great BDay party and post pics for us.

Tales from Goshen on August 11, 2009 at 6:52 PM said...

How beautifully written, Anne. And yes, what a treasure our children are. What precious gifts we've been given. Stewardship is such a sacred act of obedience...it makes you pause in consideration.